Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sleep


Insomnia is a way of life for me. This site was born out of insomnia. I’m even starting to get a reputation for it. Hoss thinks I stay up too late when I’m actually getting up too early. Sometimes. Other times I haven’t been to sleep at all! But even with just three or four hours of sleep, I cannot keep a regular schedule. I could be up at 1AM for six nights straight, then the ONE night I get the 1AM phone call that I’ve been waiting for, I’ll be sound asleep and cause unneccessary embarassment on the part of the caller. As we say in these parts, “can’t win for losing.”

This is National Sleep Awareness Week, so I threw together a bunch of sleepy funnies for your entertainment and education. Lets start with some games.

Help Oscar stay awake at work. Not an easy game to figure out.

Sheep Dash, a game to measure your reaction time.

Sleepless Knight. With a name like that, I HAD to include it in the insomnia post. Read the instructions to get past the password problem.

Research on the “early-riser” phenomenon.

Floating bed. Nice looking, too!

Photo gallery of celebrities yawning. Does looking at this cause you to feel sleepy?

Late sleepers are demanding their rights.

They are sleepy, VERY sleepy. Take a look! Warning: cute overload.










The position you sleep in tells a lot about your personality.

What Your Sleeping Position Says

You are calm and rational.
You are also giving and kind - a great friend.
You are easy going and trusting.
However, you are too sensible to fall for mind
games.





Things To Say If You Get Caught Sleeping At Your Desk

15. "They told me at the blood bank this might happen."

14. "This is just a 15 minute power-nap like they raved about in the last time management course you sent me to."

13. "Whew! Guess I left the top off the liquid paper"

12. "I wasn't sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!"

11. "This is one of the seven habits of highly effective people!"

10. "I was testing the keyboard for drool resistance"

9. "Actually I'm doing a "Stress Level Elimination Exercise Plan" (SLEEP) I learned it at the last mandatory seminar you made me attend.

8. "I was doing a highly specific Yoga exercise to relieve work related stress."

7. "Darn! Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem."

6. "The coffee machine is broken...."

5. "Someone must've put decaf in the wrong pot."

4. "Boy, that cold medicine I took last night just won't wear off!"

3. "Ah, the unique and unpredictable circadian rhythms of the workaholic!"

2. "I wasn't sleeping, I was trying to pick up contact lens without hands."

AND THE #1 BEST THING TO SAY IF YOU GET CAUGHT SLEEPING AT YOUR DESK:

"Amen"

Sleepy kitten.



An accountant is having a hard time sleeping and goes to see his doctor. "Doctor, I just can't get to sleep at night."

"Have you tried counting sheep?"

"That's the problem - I make a mistake and then spend three hours trying to find it."


Q: What do you call a sleepwalking nun?
A: A roamin' Catholic.


Thought for today: The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep.
---W.C. Fields

P.S. This is my 200th post!

13 comments:

Karen said...

I'm sorry you suffer from insomnia. I have it at times and it drives me nuts.

Here's my quiz answer (fetal):
You are secretly sensitive, but you often put up a front.
Shy and private, you yearn for security.
You take relationships slowly.
You need lots of reassurances before you can trust.

That video is great!

Have a good day and I hope you can get some sleep :-)

Carl said...

Sleep is a side effect of too little coffee, dear.

You know me, I'm up at the crack of dawn...mostly because I haven't given in to weakness.

Dick said...

I took the sleep position test but don't totally agree with it. Perhaps part of the problem is that I don't sleep all the time, all night, in the same position, so I guess I am a combination of their answers.

Since I retired I don't have to make excuses for falling asleep at my desk, but it is a little embarasing if you are talking on the phone with someone when it happens!

Big Dave T said...

Uh huh. I know you would like the casual reader to think that your prolific posting stems from your insomnia. Nice try. I have incontrovertible (sp?) evidence that Miss Cellania is a blog composed by several Yahoo DSL customer service representatives from India.

Yash said...

Thats a really nice post about sleep/insomnia. Very good links.

LZ Blogger said...

That first picture looks more like Sleep Apnea, than it does like Insomnia! ~ jb///

Saur♥Kraut said...

I am so sorry you have insomnia! That's tough to deal with. Love the nun joke, tho!

Jenn said...

This post is making me sleepy.

Anonymous said...

I don't usually have trouble sleeping, but I was having some recently because my stomach was growling very loudly when I went to bed. After several months of this i decided to stop my recreational eating at about 9pm each night, and since that time I haven't had any, or much of a, problem

Sudiegirl said...

I came here from Jules' blog...GREAT STUFF YA GOT HERE!

Glad to hear you're a kitty lover too. Kitties rock!

Take 'er easy, and hope the kitten eases up on you a bit. My two chase each other, but don't do the ankle thing anymore...THANK GOD!

Sudiegirl

Hale McKay said...

Congratulations on post nbr 200.
Combining thoughts from the two posts: Sound asleep, cat jumps onto my stomach and awakens me - thus insomnia.

Bar L. said...

The things to say while caught sleeping at your desk are so fun! I can't wait to use all of them :)

I used to have insomnia, now I have a dependence on Ambien. Ugh. I don't know which is worse.

Anonymous said...

Funny stuff! I've never suffered from insomnia. My problem is staying up on this darn computer too late at night. Like for instance, I should be in bed right now!