Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick's Day





Top of the morning to ya, and a Happy St. Patricks Day! My very Irish kids (shown here, wearing their "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" pins) asked me why we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. I said if I had to pinpoint an ethnic background for myself, it would be ... Scottish. But my ancestors did stay over in Ireland for a while, being labeled Orange, then traveled to America, where they were thrown out of town after town til they settled in Kentucky. Of course, that’s just a small portion of my ancestors, who come from all over. Why do we celebrate St. Patricks Day in a bigger fashion than we do Chinese New Year or Diwali or Mexican Independence Day? It MUST be the green beer. Thats it!!

Marti has some history and folklore about St. Patrick.

Tennessee Chick ran a St. Pats Day Limerick Contest! The ultimate winner was Xmichra, who won both first and second place. Also find an Irish Coffee Recipe. (yum) h

Find the four leaf clovers game. This should keep you busy til time for the green beer!


Green Beer

I myself love Guinness a Stout that's a very dark, almost black full-bodied beer!Nothing like it! But for this you'll need a lighter beer like an IRISH AMBER, Irish Red Ale, or a Golden Irish Lager Style BeerPint Glasses (16 oz). I make this for fun on St. Patty's Day. For the kids use a clear juice with coloring.

16 ounces golden irish lager beer
3-6 drops green food coloring

1 servings
2 minutes 2 mins prep


Molly and the Tinker have an appropriate song called God Bless The Irish.

James Bond on a mission to find a leprechaun.

Leprechauns Against Drunk Driving.

WHISKEY

Two Irishmen, Patrick Murphy and Shawn O'Brian grew up together and were lifelong friends. But alas, Patrick developed cancer, and was dying. While on his deathbed, Patrick called to his buddy, Shawn, "O'Brian, come 'ere. I 'ave a request for ye." Shawn walked to his friend's bedside and kneels.

"Shawny ole boy, we've been friends all our lives, and now I'm leaving 'ere. I 'ave one last request fir ye to do."

O'Brian burst into tears, "Anything Patrick, anything ye wish. It's done."

"Well, under me bed is a box containing a bottle of the finest whiskey in all of Ireland. Bottled the year I was born it was. After I die, and they plant me in the ground, I want you to pour that fine whiskey over me grave so it might soak into me bones and I'll be able to enjoy it for all eternity."

O'Brian was overcome by the beauty and in the true Irish spirit of his friend's request, he asked, "Aye, tis a fine thing you ask of me, and I will pour the whiskey. But, might I strain it through me kidneys first?"




I found lots of awesome St. Patricks Day ecards from an environmental group. This one I selected for you! It has a game in it.


POTATOES

An aging man lived alone in Ireland. His only son was in Long Kesh Prison, and he didn't know anyone who would spade up his potato garden. The old man wrote to his son about it, and received this reply, "For HEAVENS SAKE, don't dig up that garden, that's where I buried the GUNS!!!!!"

At 4 A.M. the next morning, a dozen British soldiers showed up and dug up the entire garden, but didn't find any guns. Confused, the man wrote to his son telling him what happened and asking him what to do next.

His son's reply was: "Just plant your potatoes, Dad, it was the best I could do from here."

Napoleon Dynamite explains St. Patrick.


BLESSING

May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;
May the sun always shine on your windowpane;
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;
May the hand of a friend always be near you;
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.


Lots more on St. Patrick’s Day.

Thought for today: Erin go braugh-less! -Hale McKay

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss C. Happy St Patrick's Day-I'm lovin' your stuff!

Marti said...

Thanks for the link!

Great stuff!

Best Irish wishes to you for a glorious St. Patrick's Day!

(Finlly got you on my blogroll too - LOL)

Anonymous said...

Best Irish Coffee in the world (ok, in the U.S., anyway) is from the Buena Vista in San Francisco! If you can get close enough to the bar to order one on St. Paddy's day, you will not regret it!

The Irish blessing ... they always forget the last line:
"And may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Happy St. Paddy's Day!!

Carl said...

Eff Erin go bragh-less, me shelalagh will have ta roise, dontcha know?

Saur♥Kraut said...

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and your whole "Irish" clan. Miss C.

I like the joke about the old man and the potato garden, it's quite good.

carolinagirl79 said...

Your kids are ADORABLE!

LZ Blogger said...

I really liked ALL of these, but the "Wind At Your Back" was my favorite! ~ I have been in New York all week and have not done much blogging! I'll need to get caught up! Have a nice weekend! ~ jb///

Miss Cellania said...

Molly, Marti, and Penny, thanks!

Carl, once again you've provided the punchline I am too ladylike to actually type.

Saur, love your hat!

Old Guy, you would also love the same joke in the version where the Kentucky neighbors reported the marijuana hidden inside the unsplit firewood.

Clueless, you are so sweet. And your kids are also adorable, but you know that!

JB, if you ever get caught up, you'll have to find a new title.

Susan said...

We made green pancakes this morning. Yummy, nothing like a few extra carcinogens in the morning to get the day off to a good start!

Prerona said...

wow - cute little angels :)