Friday, April 14, 2006
The stories we used to hear as kids were that aliens made crop circles as messages to spaceships flying above earth. I’m not even going to entertain those thoughts, because the real story is WAY more fascinating. Crop circles are an art form. Those who make them are artists. The medium is a bit weird, and viewing can be tough. The creation of such art is often illegal. Those who do it are dedicated, persistant, and serious as all get out. Read a bit about them at the Crop Circle Makers website. See some examples of their work. And read the story of the Circle Makers.
There are some standard steps in creating crop circles, and I’ve found a nifty how-to site.
Crop Circle Quest has some nice pictures of crop circles seen in Canada. If you liked those, here are some more pictures of circles. Muppet fans will love this one, even if it was photographed in 1948.
Crop circles have even been used for advertisements.
You have to start somewhere, but I’d recommend learning from and with an experienced artist, because an amateur job might give aliens a bad name. What would Jor-El or Mr. Spock think of this lousy job?
You may want to display your sense of humor in a circle.
But whatever you do, make sure you put your crop circle in the right place!
CROP CIRCLE MEANINGS
If crop circles are supposed to be a messages (like billboards) to UFOs, what do they mean? Top possible translations:
15. "Got Milk?"
14. "Last Planet Before the Skyway"
13. "Clean Restrooms, 12 Miles"
12. "When in Southern California, Visit Universal City"
11. "Neptune Starbucks, Open 'Til Midnight"
10. "Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity®, Only at Intergalactic House of Pancakes"
9. "McDonald's Next Exit, Mothership Drivers Eat Free"
8. "Marvin the Martian Was Here"
7. "Sigourney Lives!"
6. "Honk, if You Love Shatner"
5. "For a good time, call Jolly Green Giant ... 555-NIBLETS"
4. "'Star Trek Nemesis,' 12 • 13 • 02"
3. "Gort! Klaatu barada Hooters!"
2. "Welcome to Earth: An AOL Time-Warner Company"
And the number one translation of alien crop circle signs:
"You Must Be This Tall to Invade"
If you seriously want to read more about crop circles, go to The Adventure. It may take all day to read, but you’ll be well-informed afterward.
Thought for today: If aliens would consider us insane when they see crop circles, what could they possibly think when they see football?
This post originally appeared on November 9, 2005. I wish you all a very blessed Good Friday. New material will appear here by some mysterious means tomorrow.
crop circle crop circles humor UFO funny weird