Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Introduction to the Muppets

The first time I remember seeing a muppet was on the Jimmy Dean Show (which dates me, I know). This young hippie named Jim Henson had a puppet shtick that was just plain funny, even though the puppets were nothing to write home about. I also remember him on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and some other variety shows. Then the troupe got a regular gig on a new show called Saturday Night Live in 1975, but that only lasted the first season. Its OK, The Muppet Show came along and was an instant hit. Half the comedy of the show was making fun of its own lack of comedy. That worked in this case. A slew of movies followed, and now The Muppets are an integral part of the pop culture landscape.

Oh yeah, there was also a ground-breaking children's educational show called Sesame Street, which featured the Muppets. That sorta passed me by, since I was already in school. I once married a younger man who thought I had endured a deprived childhood because I didn't have Sesame Street to teach me how to read and count.

Is it just me, or does the Swedish Chef look like he's partaking in a little appetite enhancer in the title picture?

Lets start with some music to set the mood.

A complete encyclopedia of muppet characters.

25 Favorite Sesame Street Moments (be sure to watch the Martian video)

For serious Muppet Fans, see Muppet Wiki, a Muppet database that anyone can edit.

Sesame Street vs. The Muppet Show.


Muppets Statler and Waldorf review recent movies.

Laser Elmo.

Brokeback Muppets.

The Muppet Matrix.

Current terror level alert. Press this button to get a terror level meter for your site!

Terror Alert Level

Veterinarian's Hospital

(Scene: it is the episode of The Muppet Show with Dizzy Gillespie; a male pig lies on the operating table.)

And now, Veterinarian's Hospital, the continuing story of a quack who's gone to the dogs.

NURSE PIGGY: *yawn*

PATIENT: Miss Piggy, I'm back and you've got to know I love you, I love you, I love you!

NURSE PIGGY: Oh, only three times? Last week you loved me four times!

PATIENT: I been sick.

DR. BOB: Hey, just a minute. Are you back? I've already taken out your appendix and your tonsils. What's the matter now?

PATIENT: Dr. Bob, I love Miss Piggy!

DR. BOB: I see. Prepare the patient for brain surgery!

NURSE PIGGY: (angrily) Watch it, Dr. Bob. This patient has good taste!

DR. BOB: Oh yeah? Then why does he have me for a doctor?

NURSE JANICE: Brain surgery...are you serious, Dr. Bob?

DR. BOB: No, I'm Comical Dr. Bob. Serious Dr. Bob was my brother, the comedian.

NURSE PIGGY: You had a brother who was a comedian?

DR. BOB: Well, I did until he fell into a vat of molten optical glass.

PATIENT: What happened?

DR. BOB: He made a spectacle of himself! Okay, okay, this week we will take out the patient's snew.

NURSE PIGGY: What snew?

DR. BOB: Nothin'. What'snew with you?

NURSE JANICE: Ew! That's an old joke.

DR. BOB: Yeah, well it's new to me!

PATIENT: Hey, hey, Miss Piggy, please tell me you love me, because we've gotta stop meetin' like this.

NURSE PIGGY: Why?

PATIENT: I'm running out of vital organs!

So we come to the end of another Veterinarian's Hospital. Tune in next week when you'll hear Dr. Bob say:

DR. BOB: Prepare for surgery!

NURSE PIGGY: Dr. Bob, are you really going to remove his brain?

DR. BOB: No, something much more vital than that.

NURSE PIGGY: You mean...

DR. BOB: Yes, his wallet!

You Are Kermit

Hi, ho! Lovable and friendly, you get along well with everyone you know.
You're a big thinker, and sometimes you over think life's problems.
Don't worry - everyone know's it's not easy being green.
Just remember, time's fun when you're having flies!


The above quiz was lifted from Mostly Risible, who I think was Miss Piggy.

Tough Pigs, a site for grown-up muppet fans.

GHS 2002 Evil Bert Drag Race. Not your everyday drag race, these are rockets!

The Elmo scandal.

Fozzie Bear appears on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

N is for Nookie.



Thought for today: “I guess all's well that ends well."
"I don't care, as long as it ends." - Statler and Waldorf

7 comments:

Bradley Herring said...

The Muppets were totally awesome. Far better than those wretched Muppet Babies.

Kabooke Quantum Fighter said...

i give credit where credits due. great blog.

Saur♥Kraut said...

Love this post! Does anyone remember The Electric Company??? I loved that show!

Big Dave T said...

If you're a big fan of the Muppets (I remember them from the Ed Sullivan show--ouch!), then you should check out the 4-D show at Disneyworld. La creme de la Muppets!

Carl said...

Jah, ootver gooden bloggen der Miss Cellania, wurpwurpwurpwurp!

Anonymous said...

LMAO ... Yoda's #5!!

Anonymous said...

hey