Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve


There will be no New Year parties for me this year! I went to a party last year. It was the first party I’d been to in quite a few years (excepting the kids’ birthdays). I was the only guest there. The host couple had invited everyone they knew, but no one showed up. Several times during the night, the dog would bark, and the hostess would say “Someone’s here!” But after checking, she would say it must be the fireworks that made him bark. Yeah. I still suspect there were several folks who drove up, saw my vehicle, and left. Anyway, the three of us had a good time (what I can remember of it). But I wouldn’t jinx anyone’s party this year, even if anyone HAD invited me!

No, this New Year’s Eve, I will be surfing the net, sipping coffee and Comfort, watching fireworks on TV, and giving my sleeping kids a kiss. What are YOU doing this evening?

I got a great New Year greeting, one worth passing on to all of you. Perfect music for the occassion, too. (Thanks, Wendy!)


HOLIDAY LINKS

Watch the ball drop on the Times Square Webcam.
Easy New Year jigsaw puzzle for kids.
New Year fireworks video from the Eiffel Tower.
Great fireworks at the World Pyro Olympics. Check the gallery for available video.
Shooting guns into the air to celebrate.
Let Yoda keep you informed of the time.
Wikipedia list of calendars.
New Years eCards.
New Year greeting featuring cows.
Groovin Granny greeting.
Traditional food and Party Tips.




Plan ahead! If you are going to drink this New Year's Eve, then either stay at home, sleep it off at your host's home, walk home, or take a designated driver, like this cowboy did.







THE EVOLUTION OF RESOLUTIONS

RESOLUTION #1:

2000: I will read at least 20 good books a year.
2001: I will read at least 10 books a year.
2002: I will read 5 books a year.
2003: I will finish The Pelican Brief
2004: I will read some articles in the newspaper this year.
2005: I will read at least one article this year.
2006: I will try and finish the comics section this year.

RESOLUTION #2:

2000: I will get my weight down below 180.
2001: I will watch my calories until I get below 190.
2002: I will follow my new diet religiously until I get below 200.
2003: I will try to develop a realistic attitude about my weight.
2004: I will work out 5 days a week.
2005: I will work out 3 days a week.
2006: I will try to drive past a gym at least once a week.

RESOLUTION #3:

2000: I will not spend my money frivolously.
2001: I will pay off my bank loan promptly.
2002: I will pay off my bank loans promptly.
2003: I will begin making a strong effort to be out of debt by 2004.
2004: I will be totally out of debt by 2005.
2005: I will try to pay off the debt interest by 2006.
2006: I will try to be out of the country by 2007.

RESOLUTION #4:

2003: I will try to be a better husband to Marge.
2004: I will not leave Marge.
2005: I will try for a reconciliation with Marge.
2006: I will try to be a better husband to Wanda.

RESOLUTION #5:

2003: I will stop looking at other women.
2004: I will not get involved with Wanda.
2005: I will not let Wanda pressure me into another marriage.
2006: I will stop looking at other women.

RESOLUTION #6:

2003: I will not let my boss push me around.
2004: I will not let my sadistic boss drive me to the point of suicide.
2005: I will stick up for my rights when my boss bullies me.
2006: I will tell Dr. Hodger and the group about my boss.

RESOLUTION #7:

2003: I will not get upset when Charlie makes jokes about my baldness.
2004: I will not get annoyed when Charlie kids me about my toupee.
2005: I will not get angry when Charle tells the guys I wear a girdle.
2006: I will not speak to Charlie.

RESOLUTION #8:

2003: I will not take a drink before 5:00 p.m.
2004: I will not touch the bottle before noon.
2005: I will not become a "problem drinker".
2006: I will not miss any AA meetings.

RESOLUTION #9:

2003: I will see my dentist this year.
2004: I will have my cavities filled this year.
2005: I will have my root canal work done this year.
2006: I will get rid of my denture breath this year.

RESOLUTION #10:

2003: I will go to church every Sunday.
2004: I will go to church as often as possible.
2005: I will set aside time each day for prayer and meditation.
2006: I will try to catch the late night sermonette on TV.



Computer Nerd Resolutions

16. I resolve... I resolve to... I resolve to, uh... I resolve to, uh, get my, er... I resolve to, uh, get my, er, off-line work done, too!

15. I will stop checking my e-mail at 3:00 in the morning... 4:30 is much more practical.

14. When I hear a funny joke I will not reply, "LOL... LOL!"

13. I will stop sending e-mail, ICQ, Instant Messages and be on the phone at the same time with the same person.

12. I will try to figure out why I *really* need 9 e-mail addresses.

11. I will stop sending e-mail to my roommate.

10. I will not buy magazines with AOL disks bound in just to get another 1.44MB disk.

9. I resolve to work with neglected children... my own.

8. I will answer my snail mail with the same enthusiasm I answer e-mail.

7. When I subscribe to a newsgroup or mailing list, I will read all the mail I get from it.

6. I will stop using, "So, what's your URL?" as a pickup line.

5. No more downloads from alt.binaries.*

4. I resolve to back up my new 400 GB hard drive daily... well, once a week... monthly, perhaps...

3. I will spend less than five hour a day on the Internet.

2. I will limit my top ten lists to ten items.

1. I will read the manual... just as soon as I can find it.



Thought for today: Seems like this blog is one of the more positive things of 2005. I’ve had fun putting it together, I’ve learned a lot, and made quite a few friends. A big THANKS to all my sources, contributors, advisors, commenters, linkers, and readers! Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Carl said...

Prospero ano, dear...(sorry, can't figure out the tilde thingie here)

Kate said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Miss C.! Your blog is cheery spot on the web!

Duke_of_Earle said...

Thanks, Miss C. Happy New Year to you, too.

John

Ed Bremson, MFA said...

Quiet evening for me. Took my son out to eat, came back and had a glass of wine, or two, and finished typing a manuscript. I may go out later to Krispy Kreme (I allow myself to go to KK once per year), but I doubt I'll stay up late. I think Carson Daly is supposed to be good tonight. Happy new year.

Anonymous said...

Not long ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diadetes and my doctor told me to lose weight or my life would be shortened by mant years. Being overweight most of my life I knew it was time to get serious.
Link to this site. vegan weight loss plan