Saturday, June 17, 2023

A Scary Sight in Your Hotel Room

Guy tries to break into hotel room while owner is there
by u/OnyxUnix in nope


A woman at the Holiday Inn in San Jose, California, ignored a knock on her door. Not long afterward, she saw a lock monkey snake its way into her room. She called the front desk and then recorded the break-in attempt. Hotel staff came and found a man and a woman who said they were looking for a friend. The couple got away before police arrived. The would-be intruders were obviously looking to rob a supposedly unoccupied room, since they knocked earlier to see if anyone was there. But it could have gone bad if she had confronted them herself. Here is the news report.



Yeah, I don't think switching to Airbnb would be any safer. But there are travel aids you can get that will block a door opening while you are in a hotel room. Something to think about. (via reddit)

3 comments:

xoxoxoBruce said...

There is a lock higher up on the door that works like the old safety chain but much stronger. It allows the door to be opened about 2 inches so someone could deliver a document or something. I remember coming back to my room in Branson,MO, and being locked out because that thing had somehow engaged itself. I was concerned someone was in my room. When the maintenance guy came he had me unlock the door with my key the 2 inches to hacksaw it off and replace it.

Bicycle Bill said...

I was going to say the same thing ... there's usually a security chain or flip-over bar that prevents the door from being opened more than a couple of inches, and whenever I'm in a hotel/motel room it goes on ... even if I'm only in there to use the john, change clothes, and go back out for dinner.

The other thing I'm going to point out is that whoever was using that thing felt pretty sure of themself to try that.  Makes me think that it might have been hotel staff, or former hotel staff.

-"BB"-

Tim said...

I would have grabbed that tool and given a good yank--the crook does not need it.