Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Honest Trailer: The Da Vinci Code



When the movie The Da Vinci Code came out in 2006, I didn't see it because someone told me it wasn't great, and I was too busy and too broke to see movies then anyway. It wasn't until last week that an internet comment caused me to look up what it was about. I was gobsmocked to see that it contains almost every ridiculous debunked conspiracy theory available in 2006. And a few months ago I talked to a woman who thought it was a true story! Anyway, the critics hated the film, and both Christians and Muslims were offended by it. Yet the movie was a box office hit, with the best opening weekend ever for Tom Hanks and for director Ron Howard. That tells us that people do love conspiracy theories. This retro Honest Trailer dips back in time to explain to us why The Da Vinci Code was awful, no matter how much audiences ate it up.

1 comment:

gwdMaine said...

Well, it was based on a really popular work of fiction. Never read the book so don't know how closely the movie follows. That said, it's one of my favorite movies - just like National Treasure. Well made and lots of fun.