Sunday, June 25, 2023

Why Every Radio Station Sounds the Same



Phil Edwards gives us a very thorough explanation of music radio's evolution in the age of deregulation. This video tracks my 1982-2006 career as a radio disc jockey (a term I now have to explain to younger people) and the changes the industry went through. It ain't WKRP anymore. I went through all these changes until I decided to just go home and blog, because that was more fun. But that's a personal story, and if I say any more, I'm just asking for someone to respond "Okay, Boomer." In this history of radio, you'll recognize how radio has changed no matter what era you discovered it as the easiest way to add a soundtrack to your day. If you're at all interested, there's a fairly comprehensive list of source reading at the YouTube page. (via Kottke)

1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

We have the finest government money can buy. When money owns the government their biggest fear is of course revolting people, and we have plenty of them. ha ha
Money must take precautions against people organizing so cut off means of communication by owning/controlling radio, TV, and printed materials. The internet proved a bigger challenge but the eventually figured out flooding it with trolls and lies helps cut believability.

I’d love to hear your experiences in the trade but I’m from the Silent Generation, no problem with boomers.
I listen to WMGK “classic rock” in Philly until I get out of range then there’s 6 CDs loaded in the radio.
If the radio is broken I go nuts, but drive an hour and I can’t tell you what songs were played for the most part unless they annoyed me like George Thorogood.
Oh, and only sing along to Golden Earring! LoL