Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Miss Cellania's Links

Bottle Kicking in Hallaton, an Easter Tradition.

One History of the Brownie - Plus the Original Recipe! Beware that it calls for a pound of butter and eight eggs, so it might make more than you'll be able to eat by yourself. (via Metafilter)

Jaime Sanchez’s Humorous Take On Lego, Brand Logos, And Everyday Items.

MAGA’s Christian nationalism excludes a vast majority of Christianity. (via Fark)

The Strangest Amber Fossils Ever Discovered.

The Real History Behind Apple TV+’s Manhunt and the Search for Abraham Lincoln’s Killer.

The Truth Behind the Girl Scout Cookie Graveyard. The article also gives you the history of the Girl Scout's cookie program.
 
5 Ludicrous Old Medical Treatments That Actually Worked.

Witch hunts: Why were so few 'witches' killed in Wales? (via Fark)

2 comments:

gwdMaine said...

I spent some time reading more about the Palmer House Brownie. A pound of butter, 8 eggs and only 4oz of flour? After coating it with an apricot glaze, this is something you can eat with your hands? And today it's highly recommended you stick it in the freezer for 4-5 hours before cutting. Seems more like fudge to me and I bet those women back then did a lot of finger licking after eating one of those bad boys. But chocolate. Think I'm gonna put this one on my to-do list.

Last night I opened my last box of Peanut Butter Patties and I have one box of Samoas left in the freezer so yeah! Girl Scout cookie time! I really miss Thanks-A-Lots and Animal Treasures. Raspberry Rallies? Meh. Overrated.

Anonymous said...

“It’s not just that the girls earn money. They earn life skills.”
They get attagirls, but the money goes to the troop doesn't it?
I used to see them on folding tables outside the supermarket but haven't for years.
xoxoxoBruce