Thursday, March 28, 2024

Barabbas



The 1961 film Barabbas stars Anthony Quinn as the prisoner who is pardoned while Jesus was sentenced to death. The plot is not found in the Bible, as Barabbas was only mentioned in passing, but is based on Pär Lagerkvist's 1950 novel. However, it's a pretty compelling story of the later life of the man who escaped death by crucifixion, and it still gets high ratings. What's unique about this film is the eclipse that happens while Christ is crucified. Director Richard Fleischer delayed the shooting schedule so that he could film the scene during the solar eclipse of February 15, 1961. Now, that's attention to detail.  

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I saw this movie on TV when I was young. I read the book too. Both are worthy!

Anonymous said...

This was always part of my Good Friday when young. The only TV show allowed after stations of the cross and come to think of it,it wasn't just allowed it was mandatory.
I will rewatch this now in honor of my mother.