Saturday, September 02, 2023

Suburbs



Laurence Brown has lived in the suburbs of both Britain and the US, and, as he does, contrasts not only the reality of those things, but also the language used to describe them. He talks about verges, the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the road. Maybe he doesn't realize that in most American suburbs, you don't have one because there's no sidewalk and you have to drive everywhere. I have one, but I live in a very old neighbor close to downtown. My previous house just a bit further out was built when sidewalks became kind of an option for cities. That's one of the reasons I moved.  

Now I'm reminded that it's time to pull up the vegetation that's taking over the verge in front of my house. I do that once a year, if I remember. That's just the price you pay for living in a walkable neighborhood.


No comments: