Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Christmas in the South



Christmas in the South is just regular Christmas to me, but people who live further north may not be familiar with our customs. In some places, you can even go swimming on Christmas, but why would you when you could be eating tamales, shrimp and grits, and ambrosia? Honestly, I would rather go swimming in December than eat ambrosia, but since I live in Kentucky, my Southern cred is marginal. Matt Mitchell is glad to explain what a Southern Christmas is like.

I have to disagree with some of this video. In my town, the Christmas parade features Santa Claus on a flatbed 18-wheeler, surrounded by lit Christmas trees and all the City Council's grandchildren dressed as elves. Maybe that's because every firetruck in the county was already shown off at the beginning of the parade. Let's just hope that no fires break out during the parade.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

> since I live in Kentucky, my Southern cred is marginal

Wait, what?! I though anything south of White Plains was the south, and anything below Houston was the deep south.

WilliamRocket said...

Oh, by Christmas in the South they mean south of the United States !!!

Because Christmas in the south really means BBQs at the beach, roasting hot days and stopping my partner from wearing the bikini she has .... let's say it shrank in the wash.

In my part of 'The South' sunsets right now are AWESOME ... because the smoke from the Australian bush fires acts as a colour enhancer, as the sun's rays glimmer through the carbon particulates coming from the burnt trees and koalas (Yes, it is sad, horrific even, but keeping quiet about it makes no difference)

Anyhow, Christmas in the south is summer, but the fat old guy in the silly red suit still comes ... and the chimneys are cold, so he is in no danger.

I've stocked up on feijoa 'champagne' so when he gets stuck in my chimney I can get sloshed enough to pull him off, the hearth.

5 sleeps to go !

Probably 6 from youe side of the date line.

Miss Cellania said...

The Deep South is anything below Tennessee. Tennessee is The South, but people are not so fast to classify Kentucky. It was a border state during the Civil War, meaning a slavery state that didn't secede from the Union. When places are divided, someone has to be on the edge. People from the Deep South sometimes see Kentucky as the Midwest.

gwdMaine said...

I like ambrosia. The salad and the band.

Anonymous said...

Actually a fire during the parade might be OK, the trucks are warmed up and I assume driven by at least a couple firemen.
xoxoxoBruce