Friday, December 22, 2023

Miss Cellania's Links

10 Medical Misfortunes that Plagued the Tudor Royal Family. Some of them changed history. 

A new paper explores what “supercentenarians” have in common. Turns out it’s bad record-keeping. (via Kottke)

Law & Order Creator Dick Wolf Has Donated More Than 200 Artworks to the Met.  

The Age Gappers. They say they’re happy. Why is it so hard to believe them? (via Metafilter)

Formerly Popular Names that Died Off, Male Edition. Many faded after they became associated with a famous person, real or fictional. (via Digg

Only Medicare is Medicare. I got traditional Medicare because it was just easier, and now I'm glad I did.

A particularly scathing obituary. Online obit sites have either pulled it or replaced it with another written by someone else.

30 People Share Their Charming Old Houses

The Story Behind the Perpetual Stew Club. (via Kottke)


6 comments:

Bicycle Bill said...

My father was ten years old than my mother when they were married in the late 1940s (and they stayed together until my father's death 45 years later), and I myself was smitten with a woman who was nine years my senior back when I was in my forties, athough nothing ever came of that.  Those people who want to try to find something obscene, vulgar, or border-line illegal in a May-December romance can just go and pee up a rope.

-"BB"-

Anonymous said...

I'm 55, my husband is 71, together for almost 30 years. We've had ups and downs like just about everyone else; the gap has pluses and minuses just like any other difference between us. It's true it's starting to get more challenging but that would have been inevitable regardless.

I don't recall any judgment from other people (maybe he has, breaking an 18+ year relationship to be with me). There might be some confusion but our friends have just accepted us the way friends are supposed to.

gwdMaine said...

I'm not getting old, I'm just outliving the warranty. And I still get to do dumb stuff, only slower.

Happy Friday Miss C!

Miss Cellania said...

Happy Friday, gwdMaine!

Bicycle Rider said...

My wife was born on the day I turned 12.

Anonymous said...

Having dated a woman 8 years my senior, I'd have to say that Benjamin Franklin has the correct take on the subject.