Monday, March 06, 2023

KFC's Legendary Double Down



KFC's Double Down sandwich debuted in 2010 to excitement and horror among consumers. There were plenty of cholesterol and heart attack jokes, and even a debate as to whether it should be called a "sandwich" at all, since it had no bread of any kind. Surely this is just a stunt, right? First it was a limited edition, then a permanent menu item, then it disappeared in 2014.

I actually ordered a Double Down once. There was no bacon on it, no sauce, and there was only one slice of unmelted cheese. It was expensive, so I didn't try that again. And now it's returning to KFC outlets in the US, starting on March 6 for a limited run. KFC is hoping to take advantage of nostalgia (for 2010?) and the popularity of the Keto diet. Still, mind those 1200 or so calories and more sodium than anyone should consume.

4 comments:

Vic said...

My favorite KFC offering of all time! Pretty psyched to read the news, will definitely be getting a few. At first my friend and I went as a kind of dietary dare with each other, but upon receiving and consuming this awesomeness we realized we were instant converts, and we returned regularly until the production ceased. Sad times, and we sounded like a pair of old geezers whenever we'd ask if they still had it, or even worse, asking and finding no one on staff knew what we were talking about! The heavens open once again, and I'll haul my carcass over there as fast as I can! Tastes great and who needs all the bread? It's a real get down to business meal.

NYC Educator said...

I don't know, but it looks to me like it's actually covered with breading.

Bicycle Rider said...

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

gwdMaine said...

Heart Attack Wars

Burger King also reintroducing its Quad Stacker. Looking at nutrition facts for both. I'm thinking BK will kill you much quicker.