Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Photo Deposit

My kids amazed me by showing me how they deposit any physical checks they receive by taking a picture of it. Technology can do so much, but at the same time, we've lost something. One kid asked me to stop by the bank and explain some problem she was having. "Why don't you do that yourself? They know you," I said. Turns out the idea of interacting with anyone in a business setting instills anxiety among some members of Gen Z. This comic is from Randall Munroe at xkcd.

5 comments:

Vireya said...

Thanks for explaining this comic. I didn't know about the background. Cheques/checks are just not common here. Businesses stopped accepting them decades ago, and only people over 80 still use them. Everyone hates getting a cheque in a birthday card from an old relative! It is a real pain having to go to an actual bank to deposit the cheque, then wait a week or more for the bank to clear the payment.

Miss Cellania said...

If anyone hates getting a check, I will gladly take it off their hands for them. I cannot imagine hating a gift, no matter what it is.

xoxoxoBruce said...

I sent a $35 check to someone in Scotland and she said it would cost almost $30 to cash it.

DWVR said...

Not true that this generation is unjustly "afraid" of personal interaction at a bank. When I was in my teens and 20s I was routinely and openly discriminated against when I went to a bank. I was treated like an intruder, always given a hard time for every little thing, and was always subjected to things like 10 day holds on certified bank transfers. This did not change until around the time I turned 30. I'm now in my 60s and I sure as hell haven't forgotten that.

Miss Cellania said...

Dang, y'all! I guess I've been spoiled in a small town where the bank knows you and also knows you'll switch banks if they charge you for services other than a loan.