Wednesday, December 27, 2017

How Extreme Things Become Normal




The news out of Washington is more and more outrageous every day, but we have gotten used to it. The question is, should we have gotten used to it? Vox explains how this past year has left us cynical and strangely accepting of a new normal. Now it's normal to hear our president spew alternate facts and attack our government institutions, because our Overton Window has shifted. The effect is summed up succinctly in the latest comic by Sarah Andersen.


2 comments:

xoxoxoBruce said...

I say don't shift, the Overton window
If you're looking, for a life
'Cause Donald Trump, has a different vision
He's mighty handy, at causing you strife.

To the wealthy, it’s sweeter than honey
As the Overton window, shifts quickly right
The racists haters, tell Donald Trump
If the liberals, should question his might

All of my dreams, are in the Overton window
I want the old normal, for my life
I'll fight threats, of the new oppression
Though Donald Trump, may screw my life

Miss Cellania said...

That's pretty clever, Bruce!