Thursday, August 27, 2026

Dramatic Iceberg Physics



What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? In this case, the unstoppable force is an enormous iceberg, and the immovable object is the west coast of Greenland, near the town of Ilulissat on July 26th. This time lapse video condenses an hour of activity into ten minutes, with the film speed changing during the sequence.

The iceberg does stop when it hits the land, but the force of its forward motion creates incredible stress inside the ice. The 'berg shudders, cracks, and bobs. Great chunks of ice fall off, roiling the water. As the size and shape of the iceberg changes, it rolls to the side, exposing some of its larger underwater mass. It eventually splits. At last sight, what's left of the iceberg, smaller but still enormous, was pushed away from the violent split. (via Laughing Squid


4 comments:

WilliamRocket said...

Beautiful scenery.

Muchly different from the ice berg avalanche that happened in Nepal just recently.

Watching the videos from Tibet and Nepal was quite horrific, I am friendly with a woman from Nepal who works in the local delicatessen, and she told me she has friends right there and was worried about them.

We look at these disasters and maybe comment on social media, offering thoughts and prayers, for all the help that is.
But I'm here imagining having family dying horrible deaths, buried alive and such.

And then I think 'What about their pets ? WHAT HAPPENS TO THE PETS ?'

Wanna fly to Nepal and help, but can't speak Nepalese or Mandarin, can't afford the airfare, don't have a current passport, and have no one to look after my cats if I were to go.

Sigh.

So, thoughts and prayers it is.

Just as an afterthought, Tibet used to be a country, now it is a region of China, I wonder how the people that live there feel.

Guess it would be much like people in Greenland would feel if the Orange Trumpet of Farting Sharting Self Aggrandisement moved his BFF's oil companies and his minion led Armies of Stupidity in and basically sat on it like a grossly overweight ugly cat on a plate of what were once nice and appealing cream doughnuts.

Also wonder how the Hawaiians felt when the USA just took it over, but that wasn't the 'Cover Everything with Gold, Midas Me Me Monster, so I don't really care.

WilliamRocket said...

No edit facility, so just want to mention that when I write 'friendly' I mean just that, nothing seedy or untoward, we just chat about various things as I am selecting cold meats or shredded chicken for my cats.

WilliamRocket said...

Also, I mean no disrespect to the U.S. armed forces, it is just that some ex-news reader, elevated to be in a position of power, has just fired most of the defence forces generals.
Obviously doing so to disable any possible coups, headless snakes being fairly easy to control and all.
Defence forces, just remembered they have been renamed 'War Forces'
Surprised they didn't call the Gulf of Mexico the Golf of WAR.
And Lake Ontario will always be Lake Ontario, it is what I learnt in school a million and 7 years ago, and I have a niece and nephew that live just near there.

Anonymous said...

Unless and until manufacturing and packaging are forced to eliminate making everything out of plastic and eliminate or reduce pollutants, the burden to save the planet is on the consumer. And the consumer makes all their purchase decisions by sticker price.