Monday, August 21, 2023

Miss Cellania's Links

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Grim True Story of the Osage Murders. A spoiler-filled ten-minute synopsis of the book the movie is based on. (via Strange Company)

And the Oscar goes to…  (via Everlasting Blort)

Meteorologist Names Heatwaves After Fuel Companies. He explained his criteria at his blog, Guy on Climate. (via Kottke)

Towser, the World Record Mouser.

The Beauty and Brilliance of Germany’s ‘Cow Chapels.’ 

That Time When Hartlepool Hanged a Monkey

The Ocoee Massacre of 1920 happened, but it doesn't fit in with Florida's new education standards.

Thomas Hildebrand Preston, 1886-1976: The British Diplomat who tried to Save the Romanovs. He saved plenty of others in World War II. (via Strange Company)

The 25 Coolest Cars of the Past 50 Years. The coolest car I have ever owned was a '66 model, which wouldn't qualify.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Green Weatherman is a wiseass and for that I like him, however, he's missing the true villain in the climate change story. If he has ever driven a car, flown in an airplane, eaten food, received healthcare, or educated his children, HE is the villain, as are all of us.

xoxoxoBruce said...

Last 50 years, hmm 1973. Super expensive sports cars can be fast, stylish, fancy, but are not cool, because they aren't available to the hoi polloi. For a car to be cool it must be chosen by a lot of people who have a other options. Cool is also reflected in the number of people who later say they woulda, shoulda, if they coulda, but life got in the way.

WilliamRocket said...

I did a whole lot of years of study, albeit a long time ago now.
Seems to me that I was taught all about the cyclic nature of our planet, how it gets colder, then it gets hotter.
My mother used to ise skate on the river Thames, west of Reading, when she was a child, and, well before that, my great grandma (to the power of 12) used to walk around the same area with barely any clothes on, hunting pineapples, which grew HUGE back in her day.
Ok, the last bit was inflated for shock value, but the world, this little blue planet, has frozen over and then melted everywhere a whole lot of times since way before humans concocted some Jesus story to cover the aliens coming to talk to us years ago.
Maybe my Swedish car's motor puffs our some CO2, but that same CO2 was around in the air years before the trees died and rotted in the ground.
All we need to do to assuage them they get excited by the silly green people's push to ruin everything is plant lots of trees.
Remember, all that flat farm land you see was once covered my CO2 eating trees.
Just put them back.

WilliamRocket said...

The coolest cars ???

Thats like saying 'The World Champion' when only considering American and very personal criteria.

I'll give you cool cars - a 1956 Chevrolet Bel Aire - my favourite American and one I owned for a few years in my 20s.

How about a 1963 Triumph Herald - a little two door four seater of which the roof unbolts and the turning circle is about 3 metres.

A Mazda RX7 'Batmobile' liquid speed 45 mms from the asphalt.

Saab 900, you don't get anything looking cooler than that.

Holden HQ - when they came out in 1971 they were as space ships, super flash !!!

All true cool cars, and I wish I had kept each of them I owned, as they are all worth far more these days than when I had them !