Monday, May 01, 2023

May Day



When I was a kid, May first was the first day Mom would let us go outside without shoes. As an adult, I make a mental note to turn off the furnace pilot on May first, because otherwise I'd forget since I hadn't used the heat in weeks. I also usually take the winter curtains down from the stairwell entrance. Not this year! It's cold out there. We had a really mild winter (the only snow was around Christmas Eve when my family was desperately trying to get here) up until March, when my sprouting perennial flowers were zapped by two deep freezes. I still can't leave my young tomato plants outside at night because it's too darn cold. The calendar might say May, but the weatherman doesn't. (via Fark)

1 comment:

Bicycle Bill said...

Up here in Wisconsin, over on the Mississippi River where Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin all touch, I woke up to a foot of snow two weeks ago (Monday 5/17).  Granted it was all melted off by the following Thursday, but it served as a reminder that Mother Nature holds all the trump cards.

-"BB"-