Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Laurence Brown Goes to Home Depot



Renters don't usually have to deal with warehouse-sized hardware stores like Lowe's or Home Depot, but they are familiar with them from going to such stores with their parents. Laurence Brown, however, is an immigrant who recently bought his first house. In his first trip to Home Depot, we get to see the experience through the eyes of someone who's never seen such a thing before. Luckily, his wife Tarah Cantrell is more experienced with American weirdness. And like so many people, they spent hours there and went home without the one thing they went for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He didn't look at the tools!

xoxoxoBruce said...

He's got the papers, the passport, the wife and the home, but not a true American yet.

Last week I needed some plumbing fixtures so I went to Lowes which is the closest. Spent a half hour locating the items as they were spread over three long aisles. So with them and a fist full of dollars went to checkout. There was no cashiers. An employee (had the vest I didn't ask for proof) informed me it was 100% self checkout.
Homie don't play that. I put down the merchandise, stuck the cash in my pocket and went home to check my lawn for whippersnappers.

The next day I drove a few miles to Home Depot, got what I needed, and had a pleasant conversation with one of the several cashiers about the glitter glued to her eyelids.

Miss Cellania said...

I bet there was a cashier at the lumber desk. Otherwise, contractors would walk out with thousands of dollars in materials every day. That's about a half-mile hike to the other end of the store.