Tuesday, January 10, 2023

The Roller Coaster with a Brakeman



Luna Park in Melbourne has a very old roller coaster, the second oldest in the world that's still operating. In case you are now wondering, the oldest is in Altoona, Pennsylvania. Anyway, the Great Scenic Railway has an employee on every ride, because they have to operate the brakes! To be an operator on the ride, you have to have stamina, a hearty sense of equilibrium, and undergo training. Tom Scott went to Melbourne to talk to the folks who run the Great Scenic Railway, and to take a ride himself.

6 comments:

Kolo Jezdec said...

I have been to Lakemont Park many times. Leap the Dips is a must every time.

xoxoxoBruce said...

I wonder if there's a piece on that whole structure that's original?

Bicycle Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bicycle Bill said...

The 'Ship of Theseus' enigma, huh, Bruce?

-"BB"-

xoxoxoBruce said...

My feeling is as long as they are replacing parts with like parts, not redesigned parts, it's the same. Of course then it gets into replacing a wood part with an identical part but fiberglass, then it will take a few beers to sort out.

Vireya said...

I've been on the Scenic Railway (I didn't know it was ever called "Great"). It was my first experience of a roller coaster and I hated it. It looks so tame in this video!