Sunday, April 10, 2022

TV Broadcast Switches to Color



WMT-TV  Channel 2 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, went from broadcasting in black-and-white to color with some ceremony during their local news broadcast on April 14, 1967. When I was a child, it never occurred to me that the TV signal went out from the station in black-and-white or color. I just knew that our TV only worked in black-and-white, while my grandparents' TV was in color, as well as that of some of my wealthier friends. But switching to color transmission was a big deal for broadcasters. (via Laughing Squid)


1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

In 1964 I went to Florida for spring break, a last hurrah before graduation and having to work for a living.
I visited some old friends of my parents who had moved to Naples. I walked into the living room and stopped dead when I saw the color TV picture. I'd heard of it but nobody had a TV at school so it hadn't been of great interest. The first TV I ever saw belonged to this same couple, it was the Marciano/Walcott title fight.