Saturday, February 16, 2019

They Shoot Horses Don't They?



The 1969 film They Shoot Horses Don't They? follows several participants in a Depression-era dance marathon. We talk about the people who appear in modern reality shows as selling their dignity for a price, but in the 1930s, desperate people sold their dignity, time, and health for not only a chance at prize money, but also for food and shelter for the duration of the marathon. All for the entertainment of those who could pay to watch.



2 comments:

Thompson said...

This movie is one of the most eviscerating films I have ever watched. The performances are stunning, and the ending is an absolute punch to the gut. It's an amazing film, but one I don't think I can bring myself to ever watch again (much like "Schindler's List" and "The Accused").

lolarusa said...

I saw this movie on television as a child and was never the same. A fantastic film.