Friday, April 26, 2024

Miss Cellania's Links

City removes and preserves Chicago Rat Hole after complaints from neighbors. (via Fark)

The barely visited US national park that requires a passport. (via Damn Interesting)

Many nursery rhymes are credited to Mother Goose. But was such a fowl figure ever even real?

Confronting the fact that your life isn't all that impressive.

When Do We Stop Finding New Music? Your favorite music will always be from the time you were 13 or 14 years old. (via Metafilter)

Pee-wee Herman Enters the World of Cyberpunk 2077. The video contains some NSFW language.

US fertility rate dropped to lowest in a century as births dipped in 2023.

Porcelain Gallbladder Found in Human Remains in Mississippi Asylum Cemetery.

The myth of the second chance. Some mistakes really do affect the rest of our lives. (via Kottke)

6 comments:

gwdMaine said...

When do we stop finding new music? When all the radio stations stop playing it. Except for that from some blonde woman. I gave up on Sirus/XM too when all I heard on Alt-Nation was mostly stuff I already owned from 10 years ago. Yeah, let me ruin your favorite songs by playing them ten times a day seven days a week. . .

Happy Friday Miss C!

Miss Cellania said...

Happy Friday, gwdMaine!

Anonymous said...

I know my life is zilch compared to the real heroes that are sprinkled throughout society... like the guy at the Liquor Store.

I think it’s not a matter of finding new music but finding new music that blows my skirt up.

Perhaps Ian McEwan novels are a warning to not make decisions without considering all the consequences.
xoxoxoBruce

Miss Cellania said...

Now I can't help but picture Bruce in a skirt.

WilliamRocket said...

Maybe its called a kilt where he/she/them come from ?

WilliamRocket said...

Maybe on the plains of Africa (where, I hear, it rains) you could find some gnu music ?

I was 13 or 14 and absorbed all the late sixties and early seventies songs, knew all the lyrics to Tommy (Who ?), warbled Crimson and Clover like Tommy too (the sequel ?) and sang along to Hollies at the bus stop ... chord progressions burnt into my 'sikey', and instant recognition of them all within 0.3 seconds of them being played.

But my 20s implanted Dire Straits ... Roller Girl, Romeo and Juliet, and a whole lot of bands from empty v.

My thirties had me singing Bruce and the E Street band, and Bob and the Silver Bullet band.

ROLL into my 40s and I loved (still do) Nick Cave, sombre and clashing, after seeing him in concert in Auckland we flew to Wellington the next day to see him again.

Half a century walking this ROCK and I'm full of Tool and Black Keys CDs.

.....

And as the mould and decaying fungi shield my body from the view of passersby and highlight it for those already passed ... I wait, smokey shadowed air guitar in bony skinless hand, for some new twisted story built of collected notes and sound alike sentences to ORCHESTRATE a new aural love ... in this skull thuggery like visage of mine.

Yeah, not just favourite music from my early teens.