Monday, February 27, 2017

The Legacy of Sadako

I have an ongoing project to make posts for mental_floss articles I wrote way back when that I do not have an archive for. Here's another one.

Sadako Sasaki was two years old when the atom bomb was dropped on her hometown of Hiroshima, Japan in 1945. Sadako's home was about a mile from the epicenter, and her family survived. When she was an eleven-year-old school athlete, she began to experience weakness, lumps on her neck, and spots on her legs. Sadako was diagnosed with leukemia, with a life expectancy of a year. She survived until 1955, but this article I wrote for mental_floss is about what happened after her death.

2 comments:

xoxoxoBruce said...

I was thinking about all the things I learned reading pieces you wrote, mainly for Mental Floss, and posted. Then it dawned on me, if I learned that much from reading it, you must have learned an order of magnitude more by writing it.

Miss Cellania said...

That is true. I've become rather annoying at family reunions.