Friday, July 12, 2024

Miss Cellania's Links

New technology and old tactics have made buying a car a death march of deception. Jase Patrick, who spent 15 years in the business, reveals the dealer secrets. (via Damn Interesting)

Rice Krispie Cheesecake. No oven required.

How All-Female ‘Juries of Matrons’ Shaped Legal History. Courts called on these jurors to determine whether women sentenced to death were pregnant or faking it to avoid execution.

How America’s Fastest Swimmers Use Math to Win Gold. Number theorist Ken Ono is teaching Olympians to swim more efficiently. (via Real Clear Science)

An Abundance of Katherines: The Game Theory of Baby Naming. A research paper by Katy Blumer, Kate Donahue, Katie Fritz, Kate Ivanovich, Katherine Lee, Katie Luo, Cathy Meng, and Katie Van Koevering. (via Metafilter

Taika Waititi is Remaking Time Bandits for TV.

This 1812 Webster's definition of a house cat is insulting to house cats everywhere, even if it may be accurate.

South Park:
Trey Parker and Matt Stone Went to War to Stop the Movie Getting a PG-13.

A Blast from the Past (2016): 12 Celebrities Who Have Officiated Weddings.

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love Taika Waititi and that new "Time Bandits" trailer is fabulous!

MarkOfIowa said...

Very pretty artwork, Miss C!

Miss Cellania said...

That's from the new batch my brother sent me; I'll pass along the compliments.

gwdMaine said...

I'll see your Rice Krispie Cheesecake and raise you one No-Bake Chocolate Lasagna.

Because Chocolate!

Happy Friday Miss C!

chich said...

The article on buying a new vehicle. I find it such an annoying process that I avoid it as much as I can. While I probably could afford a new vehicle every few years I tend to keep the one I have for 10 or more. I currently have a Honda Fit which has been the most competent and reliable car I have ever owned. Sadly they are not brought into North America anymore as everyone seems to have bought into the story that they need an SUV at the minimum to haul their butts around.

The definition of house cat? Sounds bang on to me :P

And yes, very nice graphics.

Miss Cellania said...

Happy Friday, gwdMaine!

chich, I haven't bought a car from a dealer in more than 30 years. Just private sales since then. And the last four cars were given to me.

Anonymous said...

I’ve bought a lot of cars/trucks, over a dozen brand new. Walked away from several dealers that tried to pull crap on me.
The best experience was a 1966 Pontiac. The dealers showroom had big posters listing every model and every option with the MSRP. Spent some time reading them and found things like bigger radiator for $10, bigger battery for $4. (This is when the car was $3000) It also said when you wanted to add something what you also had to choose, like to get optional rims you had to choose bigger tires.
No surprises. figure exactly what you want, add it up and then dicker over the price.

Of course now 17.8% of new car buyers who finance, have payments of more than $1,000 a month. Ay Caramba!
xoxoxoBruce