Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Old School Cool



Marco McClean requested the image that Brother Bill posted to reddit. They took it down from one subreddit, but it's back up on another. It was in late '82 or early '83 at my first radio station. The station had a "guest DJ" feature that invited local kids to come in and play a half hour of their favorite music on Sunday nights. My brother signed up for it more than once, brought his own records and friends, and it became a party. That's why they made a new rule that guest DJs could only play music from the station's library. 
 
Marco also asked for an aircheck, but that might take some time to find my digital copies, listen to them, and figure out how to upload one.

9 comments:

gwdMaine said...

Too bad about that rule; I hope the station's library was up to it. And flannel never goes out of style. Pretty sure I have something really similar in my closet. Oh - you do look like Kristin Wiig. . . 😁

Anonymous said...

Those Sunday night "parties" must have made the rest of the week boring by comparison.
xoxoxoBruce

WilliamRocket said...

Wish I'd been around in the early 80s.

Bit of a head turner, weren't you.

MarkOfIowa said...

What a pretty lady! And it looks like Brother Bill was taking one of the earliest selfies...

Have a great day, Miss C!

MarkOfIowa said...

The above was before I clicked on the Reddit link- definitely worth reading if you have not, Dear Readers!

Miss Cellania said...

Yeah, Bill is having to explain over and over that he's not wearing suspenders. Those are photo equipment straps.

MarkOfIowa said...

At first glance, that's what I thought also! Kind of goes with the look.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I love this!

Anonymous said...

That is super cool! I quit listening to the radio some years ago when I could tell what time it was by the song they were playing. Today I was listening to a Sirius station and they played the same hateful earworm three times in the 7 hours I was at my desk. And they do not hat crap every day.
You'd think Sirius would have a music library large enough that they wouldn't need to repeat any song on a single channel within a week's time.
If I'm going to listen to repeat music, I may as well listen to my iPod or my cds. I could save over $300/year!