Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Big Mistakes Everyone Makes When Cooking Hash Browns



My family noticed that at a breakfast buffet, I would always get biscuits and gravy and hash browns, while my husband loaded up on sausage and bacon to "get his money's worth." I explained to the kids that my plate wasn't that expensive, but those were things that I didn't want to take the time to make at home. That was true for the biscuits and gravy, but the real story was that I always managed to ruin hash brown potatoes. It was easier to avoid cooking them than to waste time and potatoes learning the art of producing edible hash browns when I had a family to feed.

I stayed away from shredded potatoes at home until I posted a link to a Hanukkah recipe for latkes, and found them both easy to make and delicious. Now that I've overcome my reticence over shredding potatoes, I'm going to follow the steps laid out in this video from Mashed and eat an entire recipe of hash browns by myself.

6 comments:

gwdMaine said...

Now you're cooking with gas! I too gave up a long time ago. I'd like to see an after action report before I go all in. . .

lolarusa said...

Lots of good tips here. Especially the part about timing. I always add the salt to each side just before turning it over. And cooking each side on a medium heat without stirring is key. It means that cooking them fresh takes a lot longer than the reconstituted or pre-baked fried potatoes that restaurants use to cut cooking time, but they taste much better made fresh.

Doc Rock said...

There are few things better than a generous portion of good hash browns with biscuits and sausage gravy and WITH TWO EGGS SUNNY SIDE UP ON TOP! Unfortunately, these days, when I get back to Indiana many of the good old mom and pop breakfast cafes I used to frequent have disappeared. My old army buddy from the 1960's lives in Louisville. Maybe Kentucky is the place to go yet?

How're your biscuits and gravy? ^L^

Miss Cellania said...

Alas, the local diners here are gone as well. The buffet I talked about was Shoney's, and they closed here years ago. My biscuits and gravy were wonderful, but I haven't made them in so many years because I didn't have time with a big family, and now it's too much trouble for one person. I may have forgotten how to do them.

Doc Rock said...

Soon we'll just be sands on the shores of time. At 82 I'm helping raise an 11 year old, but soon will be on that rainow beach. Thanks for all the laughs.

Nimble said...

I'm taking notes! I have done the shred and squeeze in a towel method but never starting with shredding into water.
Happy crunchy potatoes to all !