Friday, July 29, 2022

Miss Cellania's Links

10 Inventions That Changed Food History.  Read or listen to the list in a video at the same link.

Yes, There’s A Reason Why You Cry On Your Birthday Every Year. It doesn't have to be this way. (via Digg)

Seeing double: Near-identical films that came out at the same time.  (via Metafilter)

A Calvinesque and Hobbesian look at January 6. The latest from Tom the Dancing Bug.

Painless Parker, the Showman Dentist.

Turning Dead Spiders into Grabbing Tools.

How Lactose-Tolerance Evolved So Quickly. It's not necessary for human survival, but it happened to Europeans.  

Applying Gypsum Wallboard in the 1950s.

Modern Surgery is Nothing Short of a Miracle. A lot of patients died to get us where we are today. (via Damn Interesting)

7 comments:

MarkOfIowa said...

Happy Friday, Miss C! Hope you have a great weekend!

Miss Cellania said...

Happy Friday, Mark!

gwdMaine said...

Dentists always ask stupid questions, like "when was the last time you flossed?" I'm like "dude - you were there!" Seriously, if they make their money from working on unhealthy teeth, why would I buy a product 4 out of 5 of them recommend? They invented Halloween you know.

Happy Friday Miss C!

Bicycle Bill said...

With regard to modern surgery being nothing short of miraculous ... ain't that the truth!!  About two months ago I took a tumble which left me with a compound fracture of my left femur (along with a broken left humerus and a cracked right radius). Had surgery within twelve hours or so and got a rod inserted into the femur with about a half-dozen screws to stabilize everything.

Fast-forward to today ... I've been out of hospital/rehab for a little more than a week after a total stay of 50 days combined.  My wrist is completely healed; the shoulder is at about 70-75%, and due to internal hardware now embedded in my femur I'm able to get around on my own using nothing more complicated than a hemi-walker and am probably within two weeks of transitioning to one of those four-footed canes.  Once I get back into outpatient PT I'll probably be able to walk on my own without any mechanical aids long before Christmas.

Yeah, a lot of lives have been lost over the eons, but the gain — for the most part — was worth it.

-"BB"-

xoxoxoBruce said...

Kolo, my parents shared a birthday, born a year apart two days after Christmas. They both endured the Christmas gifts with the tag line, “that’s for your birthday too”. My mother said she was 35 when she got her first birthday gift not wrapped in Christmas paper. Plenty of reasons for birthday blues.

Miss Cellania said...

Bill, that's terrible that you were so injured, but I'm glad you are going to be OK!

Happy Friday, gwdMaine!

Bruce said...

I beg to differ. Cling Wrap was invented by a woman who hated men. I hate the stuff.