Tuesday, June 05, 2018

More Dangerous Than Dynamite

An educational film from 1941, when some people were apparently too stupid to live their own lives. Remember, don't wash your clothes in gasoline! (via J-Walk Blog)


gwdMaine said...

When some people were apparently too stupid to live their
own lives? That's kinda rough don't you think? Outside of
teenagers and Darwin Award competitors, lots of people do
"stupid" things because they simply don't know any better.

We could use an upgrade to that film today. Covering things
like, don't leave a baby in the backseat of your car when
you get out. Or my new personal favorite - remember to turn
your keyless hybrid car off before you get out and close
your garage door.

Anonymous said...

Using gasoline to clean things was very common in the early to mid 20th century and even beyond. I'll be 50 this year and I remember my parents using it on occasion to clean something because it's an excellent solvent. Only outside, though. My grandmother accidentally burned down her house and was nearly killed when she was using it to clean something off the kitchen floor and the fumes were ignited by the pilot in the water heater. It was accidents like that which led to changes in the building code in regards to where and how gas water heaters could be installed. Neither my grandmother nor my parents were stupid. It's just how things were done in their respective generations.

Anonymous said...

To clarify, they all lived through the Great Depression. By "how things were done" I mean they made do with what they had and continued to live frugally throughout the rest of their lives.