Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Math Education



My kids struggled with math because it just seemed like a chore. In addition to whatever it was they were doing in school, I played finger games with them to highlight the base ten system when they were really young. Later, I had them calculate the best deals at the grocery store, and always made them figure out restaurant tips, both 15% and 20%. I wanted them to see the patterns in numbers. Their teachers were upset that I was teaching them shortcuts, and asked that I cease helping them with homework. I figured learning two ways to do the same thing would help them see the patterns. Oh well, they can both use a calculator pretty well as adults. This comic is from Zach Weinersmith at Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.

1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

I have several slide rules I was pretty proficient with now gathering dust until a museum needs them. Calculators have doomed them.I remember when scientific calculators appeared Westinghouse struck a deal where their engineers could buy for $700 and monthly payment deducted from their checks... then they came in cereal boxes, finally kids wanted something better in their cereal box.
The world is moving faster every day, now git offa muh lawn ya whippersnappers.