Saturday, December 10, 2022

All I Want for Christmas is You



This song illustrates how weird memories can be. I recall playing this song for years on radio, and just took it for granted that it was a one-hit wonder from the 1960s that was in rotation with all the other Christmas music. That was years before YouTube, and I didn't have cable TV. But I finally saw the video recently, and it looks very 1980s. I looked up "All I Want for Christmas is You" at Wikipedia and found out it was recorded in 1989! Didn't I play it at Christmas in the early 1980s? I guess not. I was also surprised to see that the singer is a woman. I guess I assumed it was a guy singing falsetto because of the band name. Another thing that surprised me was that it is considered to be a country song. Really? Sure, I was mostly on country radio from 1993 on, but this song sounds like a do-wop to me.

But the real kicker is that Mariah Carey's song of the same name came out in 1994, and I didn't pay much attention to it. We didn't play it on country radio because Mariah Carey is not a country artist. I assumed at the time that it was a remake of the Vince Vance & the Valiants song! In fact, it was only a couple of years ago that I found out they are indeed different songs, and that Carey's is an original. But knowledge is like that. When you reach a certain age, you have to pick and choose what's important to learn and remember and what's not, because you don't have the bandwidth to fit it all in.

4 comments:

Bicycle Bill said...

Interestingly enough, in 1980 Vince Vance and the Valiants also did the popular (at the time) song 'Bomb Iran' (to the tune of 'Barbara Ann') in response to the US embassy hostage crisis in Baghdad.

-"BB"-

WilliamRocket said...

Band Width ?

I have jeans that will never fit me again.

EVER.

xoxoxoBruce said...

Thanks Bill, I don't remember that song.

Mathman54 said...

That's some alternative to the traditional comb-over.