Monday, May 09, 2022

My Porch Pet

 



I set out a bunch of hanging spider plants on my porch a couple of weeks ago. They were looking rough from being inside all winter, but they are recovering nicely. I've often had birds nest in them, but usually don't find out until after the season, since they are hanging above my eye level. This year I have a larger bird that doesn't fly off as soon as I open the door. This dove protects her nest by sitting as still as possible. I can get fairly close to her. She stares at me as I stare at her. I've been using a watering can to slowly water the plant from the side, instead of a full spray like the other plants. Still, the plant can easily be replaced, so I'll just quit watering it when the eggs hatch. She might be getting the idea that am not a threat by now. Brother Bill came by yesterday and took her picture. That was somewhat of a disturbance, as he used a stepladder and a rather ominous-looking camera to take her portrait. But she sat still like a good dove.


3 comments:

Spellucci said...

You have a wonderful soul.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Awwwwww!

Anonymous said...

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Mourning_Dove/overview

Mom to birds!