Saturday, July 27, 2024

The Small But Adorable Microlino



The BMW Isetta was a one-cylinder microcar sold from 1953 to 1961. It was small, with room for only two people, but it got 78 miles per gallon! People loved the little "bubble cars," but the Isetta went away more than a half-century ago. But now there's the Microlino. This new bubble car is electric and can reach 55 miles per hour. The door is across the front of the car, just like the Isetta. Aging Wheels takes the Microlino out for a test drive while giving us all the details. The good news is that the car is delightful. The bad news is that you can't buy one in the United States. Stay with the video through the credits for a bonus hedgehog. (via Metafilter)

7 comments:

chich said...

It does raise the question of why you cannot buy a small car/truck in north america. It seems that everyone needs(?) an SUV to haul their butt around. I currently have a Honda Fit which is one of the best cars I've owned but of course they stopped being available here a few years back. At least I can enjoy pulling into a gas station behind someone in an SUV who is already pumping, get out, fill my Fit and leave while they are still pumping :)

Anonymous said...

Those would be great for filling potholes would only take 2 or 3 per hole. Boon to big trucks not being slowed down when running over them on the highway.
The reason there are no small cars and trucks here is not being able to meet safety standards without some very annoying features. Nobody wants a car it takes 3 minutes to get in or out of no matter how safe.
Needless to say, $250,000? Bwahahahahaha!

Miss Cellania said...

I think you have one too many zeros, but I agree with your point.

Mooneyguy said...

I learned to drive in a 1959 Isetta. It would go 70 mph on the freeway with a one-cylinder engine. It did not have a fuel gauge. Instead, there was a reserve tank that one selected by a lever behind the seat. I once had to make that switch and then forgot to tell my dad, who was surprised when he ran out of gas on he way to work the next day, and found it was already on reserve. It did not turn out well.

Miss Cellania said...

My family's first Volkwagen was like that, Mooneyguy. My parents told me that switching to the reserve tank meant driving directly to a gas station instead of home or anywhere else.

Anonymous said...

We don't have small economical cars in the US because of profit margins. The money hungry capitalists make more profit on large vehicles than small ones. We also apply auto regulations to all cars alike while many European countries have classes of auto that are regulated differently.

Anonymous said...

Bwahahaha. I wanted to buy 10 of them that's why the $250,000.
That's my lie and I'm sticking to it.
xoxoxoBruce