Friday, September 11, 2026

Where Were You on 9/11?


 
It was 25 years ago that four hijacked planes attacked the US. Two of them slammed into the World Trade Center skyscrapers, causing their collapse. A third crashed into the Pentagon. A fourth plane was delayed long enough for the passengers to learn what was going on, and they attacked the hijackers and crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. The death toll was 2,977 people. I won't ever forget that day. 

I worked the afternoon shift back then. In the morning, I went down to the DMV to renew my driver's license. The clerk asked about my daughters, ages three and four, and suggested I bring them in to get a "bicycle license." I'd never heard of such a thing, but said I would do that. They and my husband were up when I got home, so we all went back downtown. As we were headed out the door, a friend called and said to turn on the TV. We didn't, but turned on the car radio. The morning DJ at my station was talking about "some idiot" who had flown a plane into the World Trade Center. He obviously was under the impression then that it was a small plane, which had happened before. But when we got to the DMV, everyone was huddled around a TV set, and it became clear this was something much bigger. Still, the clerk took my kids' pictures and made bicycle licenses, which have no information beyond their pictures, but are laminated and important-looking. 




On the back, she jotted down the date before laminating them.




Back home, we were glued to the TV, and I cried. I know now that for my daughters, it was like the day President Kennedy was shot when I was five years old. They knew it was important and awful, but didn't understand much more than that. We saw the second crash and when the buildings collapsed. Yeah, I should have sent to kids out of the room, but I couldn't anticipate when another tragedy would be shown live, and they didn't want to be alone anyway. 

When I got to work, we were in emergency mode. No music, no ads, just the live network news feed, for about a week afterward. A few days in, the office informed me that we had to make up all the ads we missed, so I would run 15 minutes of ads and 15 minutes of news until we caught up. No matter- by then, no one was listening anyway. The station owner bought the biggest American flag I'd ever seen (outside of the Smithsonian) and hung it over the front of the two-story building. For months afterward, we couldn't even check the weather outside the studio window. And they hung it wrong, with the blue field on the upper right. I mentioned it, but they said it was too much trouble to change it.  

What are your personal memories of that awful day 25 years ago?   
 

No comments: