Sunday, September 13, 2026

Those Giant Balls on Power Lines



When I first saw a power line with a giant red ball in the middle, I thought it might be a prank. But then I saw more of them, and asked my father what they were for. He, being like Calvin's dad, made something up on the spot. "That's in case the wire falls, so they can find them." Not all the wires had them, so I took that answer to mean he didn't know. I was used to Dad's shenanigans by then. 

So today we get the real answer. The YouTube account Simple Things - Surprising Histories had a minute-long intro, so I was afraid we'd have to watch the whole thing to get the answer, but the narrator gets right to the point after that. These are called aerial marker balls. Then he tells the story of how those balls came about in the first place. They aren't as old as I had thought. (via Laughing Squid

2 comments:

WilliamRocket said...

I'm pretty sure they are like the Hobo info markings but for off world aliens.
Red balls means that you can power up your slinctaroos there for free.
Fun fact, if you can get one of those balls down, and break the skin open, you will find it is full of lovely gooey caramel ... get ready for a sugar overload !
Don't believe me - just try one.
Yes, yes, I was surprised as you are, not only about them being filled with tongue happiness maker, but also that the 'Hobo marking' off world alien can see the same colours as we can.
Most off world aliens I have met use sound as their vision.
That is why the Off-world Alien Friendship Agency made high kilowatt power lines hum so loudly, so the off world aliens can 'see' them, so they cn charge up their slinctaroos.

Sigh, remember when we used to just call them aliens.

Tundra Bunny said...

My mom's favourite brother was an experienced pilot who died in 1963 when his small plane flew into transmission wires. Those aerial warning spheres have saved countless lives and are nothing to joke about.