Saturday, September 12, 2026

Socialism



Harry Truman had a hard time as the 33rd president of the US. He tried to enact a lot of reforms, but was opposed by a Republican congress for most of them. He had to use an executive order to desegregate the military. Truman had an easier way internationally, as he oversaw the Marshall Plan to rebuild Europe after World War II and initiated the Berlin Airlift. He was instrumental in the founding of NATO. But he will always be known as the president who deployed the first and only two nuclear bombs as weapons. Sure, it ended World War II, but it also ushered in the nuclear age and a 40-year Cold War. Oh yeah, and there was the Korean War. This quote is from 1952. 
 
In 2026, when anyone brings up socialism, I have to tell them it's a meaningless word now (like "woke"), since everyone has their own definition and you can't change their minds. Yeah, I'm surrounded by conservatives.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Schools, roads, police, firefighters, libraries, etc. could not be afforded if individuals had to pay when using them.
I'm not sure what socialism is, but I know that capitalism has created a chasm between the haves and the have-nots, with the have-nots including households with 2 incomes.

Anonymous said...

Lots of socialism in the US. Bank bailouts by Government, Big business bailouts from Government, Farm subsidies from Government, Low taxes for the rich by Government, free healthcare for politicians from Government. The list just goes on and on.

gwdMaine said...

Lots of good examples of socialism and as long as it doesn't result from someone's conviction that their own failures are the result of someone else's success I can deal with it.