Tuesday, September 08, 2026

Do You Like Piña Coladas?



Max Miller talks about piña coladas to the point you want to get up and make one, except you'd have to go to the store and get the ingredients. But what would you buy? He explains the normal piña colada you'd be served in most places today is made with coconut cream and pureed pineapple and is quite sweet. That's the recipe we got from Puerto Rico in 1954. Then there's also the older piña colada, made with coconut milk and didn't always contain rum, which originated from Cuba. 

But wait a minute. When I was a kid, the only "coconut milk" you could get came in a can and was thick and sweet like sweetened condensed milk. That was also what I used to make piña coladas when I was a bartender in the 1970s. But today, you can get cashew milk, almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, etc. etc. which are made by blending water with food solids. I would imagine that makes a very different piña colada. You have to wonder how it compares with the original from Cuba, which was no doubt made with the thin, sweet water straight from the inside of a coconut.  

People will still argue about using pureed pineapple vs. pineapple juice, or whether to add cream, and always which rum is best, but I don't think I've ever met a piña colada that I didn't like. There's a skippable ad from 3:10 to 4:20. (via Laughing Squid

No comments: