Wednesday, May 03, 2023

From Lawn to Garden



Sue from Garden Moxie saw that she was spending hundreds of dollars every year just watering her lawn, and decided to turn her yard into a garden. In this video, she gives us an update on the work she's done. The process of replacing grass with more interesting plants may seem like a lot of work, but designing, experimenting, and digging are all satisfying tasks on the way to a gorgeous garden.

Her yard is now way more interesting than an expanse of grass. The scheme she uses is inspiring, but should vary depending on where you live. Native plants for your area will be better for birds and bees and other wildlife, and you might not have to contend with deer eating your garden. Although I never watered my grass or used chemicals to maintain it, I have been gradually reducing my lawn over the past ten years by expanding my flower gardens, planting trees and shrubs, and growing backyard vegetables. Every inch I no longer have to mow is a plus. What lawn is left consists of clover, moss, weeds, and a mixture of grasses that look a little wild even after mowing, but that beats a yard that resembles astroturf any day.     


2 comments:

xoxoxoBruce said...

I used to mow almost 4 acres, looked nice but a hell of a time eater. It seemed the time to mow to prevent it becoming high enough to be a struggle, came at exactly the same time I wanted to do something fun. Then the local politicians pissed me off 10 years ago and I haven't mowed since.

chich said...

Never understood why people have the need to drag a bit of the serengetti around with them.
I've been letting the moss and wild plants slowly take over. The bees and small wildlife are moving in. The deer can be a problem but an infared clicker scares them off.