Friday, October 01, 2021

Facebook Shenanigans

Facebook notified me that, as a publisher of one or more pages with a potential for high volume, they must verify my identity. To do that, they want me to turn on location tracking on my phone and download an app to my phone in order to verify my identity, which sounds pretty intrusive, but whatever. There's a kink in this plan: I do not have a smartphone.

They think I am a danger of some sorts, I guess. The only site I "published" that has a potential for high volume was Neatorama's Facebook page. Jill Harness is actually managing that, and I haven't posted there in a really long time, so I asked Alex to remove me from the account so my predicament doesn't screw anything up, and that was done immediately.

Now the only Facebook page I manage besides my personal profile is the Miss Cellania page, and it will not load for me. I don't know if it will load for anyone else.

So do I try to search for a way to communicate with Facebook? They rely mostly on algorithms to run the business, and they don't work too well. Getting a real person to communicate with is damn near impossible. And if it happened, it would be someone half my age who thinks I should invest big bucks in a smartphone I don't need so Facebook can see that I stay in the same location all day every day. That seems like a lot of hassle for a "fan page" that isn't hardly used, by me or anyone else. I would be fine with letting it go. I don't post much at all on my personal page, but if they nuke that, then I won't be able to access my private groups, some of which are important to me.

I'll give it a few days and then retire Facebook from the "where to find Miss C" widget to the right.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Just another reason why I deleted Facebook.

Anonymous said...

Facebook stinks!

Bruce said...

I can access the facebook page, The last post you made is April 17th.

WilliamRocket said...

If I want to find out how to misspell a word or really mess up punctuation I go on Facebook, but most of the time I consider it a fading memory from the past.

Dennis King said...

I read you every day here on blogger. I gave upmon FB ages ago. Walk away and don’t look back.

lolarusa said...

Never occurred to me to look for you on FB. I read you direct from the Miss Cellania blog. FB sucks. I mean, I use it for groups and nieces' messages and stuff, but it sucks.

Bev said...

Your facebook page loads for me, if that is any help.

rengroupie said...

I also do not have a smart phone, and it causes verification problems. Why does every place think you'll have a phone you can text or load an app on? It's not just FB, but banks, stores, etc. I don't want to have to purchase a phone just to verify my identity!

hfxer said...

Dealing with the twits at facespace is frustrating.
My local dart league uses facebook for posting schedules and standings.
My neighbourhood has a facebook account to community events ect.
Some of our local smaller grocers use facebook to advertise .

I tried several times to make an account using my real name but each time I was declined . Facebook kept saying it appears I am a business and I must make a "page".
First - I am not a business
Second - you need an account to make a page.

Really hard to find a way to email them about the issue but eventually they accepted that I was just a person, not a business.