Thursday, July 04, 2024

The Galaxy Being



"The Galaxy Being" was the very first episode of The Outer Limits, which debuted on September 16, 1963. I will never forget that day because that was the day I ran away from home.

I was a couple weeks short of five years old. My mother went grocery shopping and took my baby brother. My father fell asleep on the couch watching TV. It never occurred to me to do anything else when the TV was on, so I watched the show. I didn't understand much of the plot, but the glowing alien was so terrifying that I grabbed my security blanket and my stuffed kitty and just walked away from the house in tears. The show came on at 7:30, and it wasn't yet dark. I was maybe three houses down the street when a lady came out and asked where I was going. She walked me home, and Mom was back by then.

I explained what happened, and Dad asked why I didn't just turn off the TV. I didn't know how! My parents controlled the TV. But I got a lesson that evening. I don't recall "waking up Dad" offered as a possible solution, but I might be wrong about that. It was more than 60 years ago.   

 

3 comments:

Marco McClean said...

Plus there's the radio connection. Everyone who has ever worked in radio can understand the deejay in the story, alone in the station at night, presented with a magic knob that can turn the transmitter up enough to reach seven states. He shouldn't actually do it, of course, because the station can lose its license.

For people who don't know: most AM stations have to turn their power way down after dark, because AM radio goes much farther at night. It doesn't go to an interdimensional lightning ghost in another galaxy like in the story, but another thousand miles is an attractive temptation.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I wonder where you were going?
To find Mom, to a friends house, or just away from the TV?
At least you didn't take Dad's wallet and call a cab. LoL
xoxoxoBruce

Miss Cellania said...

It was just to get away from the TV. I had no idea what I was doing.