Thursday, June 13, 2019

Air Ambulances Are Bankrupting Us



For a short while many years ago, I worked at a radio station that offered health insurance. The agent went over the benefits with us and stressed that they would not pay for air ambulances unless it was a life-or-death matter- and they could cost up to $100,000. That came back to me later when my husband was in the hospital, and they wanted to transport him by helicopter to a bigger hospital 90 miles away. I cringed inside, but didn't say anything, because I did not want to deny him any services. Then the weather went downhill, and he was transported by a conventional ambulance instead. In this video, ZDoggMD has some truth to lay down on us about the business of air ambulances. (via reddit)

2 comments:

chich said...

Still astounds me how much you folks pay for medical care. I just spent 6 weeks in hospital followed by 8 months of out-patient (5 days a week for 3 hours). Cost me the $100 or so per month my government medical plan costs for the two of us.
Why does your government allow this to happen? Or better yet, why do you put up with it?

Anonymous said...

I fell and got a concussion, A Three week hospital stay followed by four weeks in an assisted living home cost me a quarter of a million dollars, and that's WITH health insurance.