Saturday, July 08, 2023

The Best Grilled Cheese You'll Ever Make



Chef Frank Proto tackles the quintessential American comfort food: the grilled cheese sandwich. The super-simple version is just a matter of frying a plain cheese sandwich in butter, which is cheap and makes kids think its something special. But you're all grown up now, and there's no reason you can't jazz up that familiar comfort food with a few tweaks to make it a gourmet delight! Sure, grilling makes Wonder Bread, American cheese, and butter way more than the sum of its parts, but wait until you get a taste of Gruyère cheese and mayo on Tuscan bread.  

Really, even acclaimed chefs love a good grilled cheese, and are willing and able to experiment with the best ingredients and methods. The only thing I would add would be a couple of dill pickle slices on the side, because that's just traditional in my family. Plenty of commenters at YouTube contributed their personal tweaks, too, in case you want to check them out. (via Digg)

4 comments:

xoxoxoBruce said...

See, grilled cheese sandwich was something we could all get behind, unified national cause. But then somebody starts tweaking which leads to taunting... my grilled cheese is better than your grilled cheese needer neener neener and the nation is divided.
Abe warned us about a house divided.

Miss Cellania said...

Well, y'all can argue about the BEST grilled cheese, but aside from a couple I've forgotten about on the stove and turned to charcoal, I can't say I've ever had a BAD grilled cheese.

Anonymous said...

Gotta have tomato soup with it…

Bicycle Rider

Dante said...

After 40+ years of watching cooking shows and videos and reading cookbooks and recipes, this is the first time I have ever witnessed someone else executing a recipe exactly as I do it myself. Interesting, almost eerie that every specific detail matches. Occasionally I add yellow mustard.