Tuesday, February 02, 2021

What It Was Really Like To See Star Wars In 1977



I can tell you what it was like, because 1977 is when I first saw it. I had missed the hype, because I was in college and saw no TV all that year. But some friends I worked with during the summer back in Kentucky insisted I go with them to see Star Wars. I had no particular expectations, but when the Imperial Star Destroyer filled the big screen during the opening scene,and got bigger, and bigger, and bigger, I knew it was something special. We went back to see Star Wars again and again, even though that meant an hour-long drive there and another back each time. I was hooked. This video gives the perspective of different people who recall their first impressions.

4 comments:

RedfishJohn said...

I drove home at night after seeing Star Wars in a Datsun 1200 and felt like I was in an X-wing fighter. I was 25,taking my 18 year old sister to see it at an evening showing across town. I still remember the surreal sensation of that little car feeling like it was floating while we jabbered away about how wonderful the movie was.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I went to see Star Wars in the theatres in 1977 too. I was a young university student then. I loved the amazing special effects, of course, and enjoyed the movie as a bit of lightweight fluff. In terms of the plot, I thought it was obvious and derivative rather than being particularly original. And I still think that about every Star Wars movie/series since then as well, including "The Mandalorian." Enjoyable, but really just a retelling of basic themes from old myths and fairy tales. Old wine in new bottles.

xoxoxoBruce said...

That first viewing in the theater was a revelation, it made me realize how complicated and boring movies had become. Suddenly leaving the theater I wasn't thinking about where I parked, how bad traffic is, should we grab a bite on the way home. For they first time in years I was thinking about the cast of characters and story line. Actually the first three were just plain fun.

Brad in Dallas said...

I was honestly underwhelmed by it in 1977. I thought it was one scene too long with the medal ceremony after the battle. I thought there was lots of overacting. Blowing things up isn't sci-fi, there wasn't any deep message for us. Much of that applies all through the series.