Thursday, June 22, 2017

Miss Cellania's Links

The Love Life of W.C. Fields. It was complicated, to say the least.

The Dog Photographer Of The Year Contest Announced Its Winners, And They're Amazing. The squee is strong with these doggos.

Would Canadians give up their single-payer healthcare system for the US style of healthcare? No, and they then explain why.

I'm Terrible, Thanks For Asking.

Angry Neighbors and the Notes They Write. (via Boing Boing)

A surgeon’s secret: As she operated on babies’ birth defects, a doctor hid her own diagnosis. Dr. Mary Austin is performing cutting-edge miracles for infants not yet born. (via Metafilter)

Yoga Makes People Super Emotional. But Why? To those who do not participate, it looks like the pain causes tears.

How Cults Brainwash their Members. And the ways to break out of such a system. (via Digg)

Everything you ever wanted to know about America’s northernmost town. Find out why Barrow, Alaska, even exists.

The Making of the American Diner. They were once known as a "vulgar boys' club."


4 comments:

Lilylou said...

I've been wondering how you're doing after your husband's death and you haven't given many signals, but I appreciate the article you posted today about what it's like to survive a terrible event in one's life. I hope you have lots of people in your life to whom you can pour out your heart and your sorrow and that you feel okay about doing so. As a Unitarian minister, I have been the shoulder for a lot of people over the years and have been lucky enough to learn that we all need people we can cry to.

I hope your life eases gradually as you find your own ways to survive. Every day when I read your blog, I think about you and hope you are getting through this terrible time day by day. I know if must be very hard.

Miss Cellania said...

Thanks, Lilylou.

This is the second time I've been widowed, so I was able to skip a lot of the philosophical trauma this time around, but the personal trauma is still there. I've been able to lean on my children somewhat, since they are adults now. I think I'm getting my life back together gradually.

xoxoxoBruce said...

Wow, everyone should read "I'm Terrible". Even if they're the rare person who doesn't experience a (or more) personal loss, just to be aware of people around them that do, go through.

Lilylou said...

Thanks for your response, Miss C. I'm glad you have support and that you have developed ways of dealing with the trauma. I'm so sorry you've had to experience this again.