Monday, October 05, 2026

Miss Cellania's Links

The Nikon Comedy Wildlife Awards Finalists for 2026.  Read more about them at Smithsonian. 

How Could Such a Thing Still Happen in a Country with a Frat Boy Supreme Court Justice? Washington is full of people we want to protect our daughters from. (via Nag on the Lake) 

For more than a century, tales of tortured Russian prisoners and restless ghosts have haunted remote Chirikof Island in Alaska. (via Strange Company) 

An Open Letter to the Robots Trying to Replace Us. 

How Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is helping kids start reading when they’re very young. 

Don't Cook That. A museum of horrible published recipes. (via kottke) 

20 Things You Might Not Know About The Shawshank Redemption. 

Woman accusing Sherrod Brown of forcing transgender surgeries isn’t from Ohio, didn’t have procedure as minor. Beware campaign ads that just might be full of lies. (via Fark) 

European cities seek ways of boosting affordable housing. Some of these are worth a try here. (via Nag on the Lake) 
 

*****

On a personal note: I see in my archives that it's been eight years since I got that bakery job. Many commenters were happy about it, since I was going through money woes. That job only lasted a year, until I got another internet job that lasted a year. Then everything went downhill as my mom broke her hip, the pandemic started, and my kids came home. My financial situation took a backseat in priority, but the blessing that got me through was paying off my mortgage. I was so focused on being out of debt that it was a surprise to see that $600 bill I no longer had to pay every month made my small income enough to get by. A few years later, I became eligible for full Social Security benefits, so I am doing just fine.   

1 comment:

DWVR said...

Wow, I am surprised to hear you've been struggling and I'm very happy to hear that you seem to have gotten through those struggles and now have found a stable place. May it last forever. And through it all you kept the blog going every day with hardly a pause. Of course I'm selfishly happy to hear that I'll get to keep checking for new items on this blog every morning after I get up.