Monday, October 21, 2019

My Weekend Off

My internet was out from 9AM Saturday to 3PM Sunday. There was an area outage at first, but when everyone else's internet came back, mine didn't, and it took a while to figure that out. They had to send a technician, who wouldn't be there until 3 Sunday afternoon. That's when I found out how very dependent I am on the internet.

First, I couldn't work. But I also couldn't watch TV (I am streaming-only), play video games (I discovered there aren't any on my computers), read the news, or most of the other things I do. Gothgrrl went back to campus Saturday afternoon because even her homework is done by internet. Gardening was out because it was raining. I caught up on housework. I decided to go crack walnuts in the basement, but then my bench vise gave out. Thinking I'd fix it, I decided to look up the structure and function of a bench vise ...but I couldn't look anything up. I had set plants out to get watered in the rain. Should I bring them in for the night? Who knows, I couldn't look up the forecast like I normally do.

I visited family, went to church, and slept longer than I have in years. Then a nice young technician found I had both a weak cable signal and a fried modem (probably from overuse). The modem was less than a year old, and I had already replaced the router of the same age that failed a couple of weeks before. He installed new cable and provided a new modem, and I feel a profound sense of gratitude for both the lesson in patience and the restored connectedness.


Of course, you didn't even miss me, since most all of the posts here at my site are pre-loaded. It would take about a week before anyone noticed a difference.

8 comments:

hearsetrax said...

🤯Sorry for not noticing

but glad your back to the connected world

next time go to local library and send out an email to your loyal fans

Miss Cellania said...

The library would be my normal backup plan, but they close early on Saturday (2PM) and aren't open at all on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I keep dvds for just this eventuality. Also, I've kept all the books I've loved in the past, and have finally started re-reading them. I've got plenty, and most I would read again. I'd miss you.

Miss Cellania said...

I have plenty of DVDs, but no working player. But I should have considered slipping one into my older iMac- the one with a disc drive. I did read some, but I have a cataract that makes all but large print tiring.

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

I would have missed you when your posts didn't appear...

Doc Rock said...

I've been following you daily for a looong time. I'd miss you!

Jane said...

Glad you're back pnline. Might want to get that cataract attended to. I had to have mine done in my early 40s and it was easy peasy

Miss Cellania said...

I plan to, as soon as my mortgage is paid off. Yeah, I have health insurance, but the deductible is $6K.