Monday, July 22, 2019

Spider

There's one branch of my family that relies on old wives' tales, superstitions, and fear of everything to negotiate life. I spent a few years battling their influence to give any kids a sense of mastery over their world. I pretty much won that battle. They once asked if I was afraid of anything. I had to think, and then said, yes, I'm afraid my kids will run into the road and be hit by a car. Honestly, that's a common danger for children that I might not be able to control. I hope it made them more cautious about traffic. The point of this comic is that knowledge is power, and the more you know, the less you need to fear the world around you. Or maybe the point is just that spiders are beneficial, I don't know. Anyway, Gothgrrl was once afraid of dogs, and went into veterinary work knowing she needed to get over the fear of being bitten. She even told me she wanted a dog to bite her, because once something happens, you don't have to be afraid of it anymore. Everyone she works with has been bitten by a dog. It happened last week, and now she's okay with it. This comic is from Lunarbaboon.