Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Miss Cellania's Links

How the World War II Memorial Came to Be. Veterans waited more than half a century to see it.


How America Bought and Sold Racism, and Why It Still Matters.

A short history lesson on advice columnists.

Gorgeous Illustrations From Children’s Books With Grown-up Appeal. Take a look at The Journey of the Penguin and The Fox and the Star.

The 10 Worst Cars of the 20th Century. They might make your boring but reliable sedan look a lot better.

The X-Files: A History of the Fandom. It set a precedent for how fans find each other on the internet.

Veterans Day And Armistice Day Celebrations Around the World. The end of war will always be a cause for celebration and tribute to those who served.

March of the Balloon Animals. Mashable has a collection of vintage photographs from Macy's Thanksgiving Day parades spanning from 1929 to 1964. Do not miss the 1937 giant reptile.

Fan Theory: Will Luke Skywalker be On the Dark Side in Star Wars: The Force Awakens?

2 comments:

gwdMaine said...

I'm 2 1/2 for ten on the 10 worst cars

1. My aunt and uncle owned a Kaiser. By the time I was riding in it in the early 60s, +/- ten years after production stopped, it was pretty much completely rusted out. You couldn't sit in the front passenger seat as there was no place to put your feet you could see the road. The back seats were gone - you had to stand bent over and hold on to the back of the front seat. So one day my uncle takes me off to somewhere. Few minutes into the drive, my foot punched through the back floorboard and I could see the road passing by. I'm screaming like hell to stop the car - and he kept going to the next stop sign. Stopped - pulled my leg out of the hole - stuck me in the front seat with my legs crossed and off we went. Fifty years and counting - will never forget it. That was my last Kaiser ride. He then went out and bought a jeep. Seriously - where's that on the list. . .?

2. My dad bought my mom a Vega - it's what I learned to drive in. It had an aluminum engine which blew up and was replaced for free. I took care of the rest just by learning to drive it.

3. Which explains why my first car was a . . . Pinto. It got a somewhat honorable mention. Had it for 11 years and put over 100K miles on it. It died on the road one day and I just left it there. 'Back in the day', my CB Handle went back and forth from "Bar-b-Que Pit" to "Fire Bomb"

Barbwire said...

I couldn't read the whole article on racism. It made me sick. We still have such a long way to go. So sad. So very wrong.