Monday, May 11, 2015

John Oliver on Paid Family Leave



On the Mother’s Day edition of the HBO series Last Week Tonight, John Oliver takes a look at the way America gives its workers family leave. Or actually, the way America doesn’t do family leave the way the rest of the world does.

When I adopted each of my two daughters, I saved up two years worth of vacation time to take two weeks off. I also took a couple of extra days unpaid with the first. Neither job offered paid sick days. I can't imagine trying to recover from childbirth under those conditions, but I worked with a couple of women during those years who were back at work two days after childbirth because they couldn't afford to lose any more pay. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't disagree with better parental leave. It's a great idea. Where I live you get a year that can be split between either parent. Let's not forget though our great great grandmothers had none of this & did just fine. We have much to be thankful for this Mothers Day.

Barbwire said...

Most of our great great grandmothers didn't work outside the home. They also had friends and family near by to help out. And the "lying-in" period was considered to be at least 6 weeks. And of course, many of them died in child birth, from child bed fever, from conplications of a difficult birth, or other problems we don't have to worry about now. I had almost no hospital time, and though I didn't work, I was on my own at home. No family, husband not involved with child care, etc. Try being a woman, Unknown, and I'll bet you change your mind.

David Haile said...

John Oliver is losing his edge. Welcome to the real world.